Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ch. 2 "What Eve Alone Can Tell"

OK ladies once again before we begin let's open with a prayer and invite our Abba God into our discussion. This time I'm going to take our prayer directly from the workbook Stasi just has a way with words. :)
"Dear Jesus, I love you. I need you. I come before you now, once again, as yours, asking for your help, your grace. My life is yours. My heart is yours. Would you please come and shine your light into the depths of my heart that I might understand myself better and come to know your healing and your presence more deeply. Help me to remember what I need to remember. Help me to see, lift the veil of shame and help me to see what it mean ts that I bear your own image--as a woman. Jesus. I give you access to all of my heart. I invite you into every part. Come. Holy Spirit, have your way--that I might love you, God, more deeply and truly with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

I LOVE THIS CHAPTER!!!! :) The first time I read this chapter I could NOT control my excitement! Our friend Betty can attest to that fact.:) I can tell you that it's the very first time in my entire life that I got a really long look at the beauty God made in me. As new as it felt, at the same time, there was something familiar about it as well. For as long as I can remember I have felt that I was created for something special, something important, something world changing! I could never quite put my finger on it but my heart was so full of the knowledge that I was meant for something special that it kept me going when life should have been overwhelming. When I read this chapter my heart just SOARED! SO THAT'S IT!!! THAT IS FROM GOD!!!! I AM SPECIAL! It is still so exciting to me that I'm bouncing around in my chair trying to get all the excitement from my heart through my fingertips and onto this page!! As hard as I try I just can't do justice to the joy I feel. I'll just have to settle for LOTS of 'all caps' and exclamation points!!!! ;-)
Once again I'll be taking discussion questions from our workbook.
As you can tell, what struck me in this chapter most deeply was the knowledge that Eve (I) was NOT an afterthought! We as women are not just an appendage. We are the climax of story, the crowning jewel of creation! WOW!! WOW!!! What struck you in this chapter? Did you underline anything?
"The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. Gen. 2:7 NKJV It is worth noting here the glorious intimacy of man's creation. All the rest of God's masterpiece sprung into being merly from God speaking it to be. 'Then God spoke. . .' But when it came time for God to create his image bearers, he formed them with his own hands. He breathed life into them himself. What do you think about that?"

"Eve is created because things were not right without her. Something was not good. 'It is not good for the man to be alone.' (Gen 2:18) NKJV. This just staggers us. Think of it. The world is young and completely unstained. Adam is yet in his innocence and full of glory. He walks with God. Nothing stands between them. They share something none of us has ever known-only longed for: an unbroken friendship, untouched by sin. Yet something is not good? Something is missing? What could it possibly be? Eve. Woman. Femininity. Wow. Talk about Significance.
Have you thought about being a woman in this way? What would it do for your heart to embrace this truth?"

"The vast desire and capacity a woman has for intimate relationships tells us of God's vast desire and capacity for intimate relationships. In fact, this may be the most important thing we ever learn about God--that he yearns for relationship with us. 'Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God'(John 17:3NKJV). The whole story of the Bible is a love story between God and his people. he years for us. He cares. He has a tender heart. Have you seen God as yearning for you? As longing to be loved by you?"

"How does it change the way you feel about your own heart's desires to hear that through Eve God makes romance a priority of the universe?"

"That longing in the heart of a woman to share life together as a great adventure--that comes straight from the heart of God, who also longs for this. He does not want to be an optional in our lives. He does not want to be an appendage, a tag-along. Neither does any woman. God is essential. He wants us to need him-desperately. Eve is essential. She has an irreplaceable role to play. And so you'll see that women are endowed with fierce devotion, an ability to suffer great hardships, a vision to make the world a better place. How does your heart respond?"

"Beauty is such a source of struggle for women. So let's really dig deep here-for clarity, and for the healing of our hearts. Beauty matters to God. Very much. But lest you fall into despair, here is very good news. You possess it. Yes, you. True beauty. (I know you just rolled your eyes, by the way). It may take the whole book to begin to clear this up, so hang in there. Let the emotions come. Invite Jesus into the whole way you feel about beauty-especially your beauty. Beauty is powerful. It is dangerous. It matters. Let's explore why.
First, Beauty Speaks. Being with a woman who is at rest, a woman comfortable within her own beauty, is an enjoyable experience. She is trusting God, not striving to become beautiful, but allowing his beauty to more fully inhabit her. Have you had the experience of being with a woman who is stressed, striving, worried? And how did you feel around her? Have you had the pleasure of being with a woman who is resting in God and knowing that all will be well? How did you feel around her? What kind of woman do you tend to be?"
"Beauty Also Invites. . . Recall what it is like to hear a truly beautiful piece of music. It captures you; you want to sit down and just drink it in. We buy the CD and play it many times over(this is not visual, showing us that beauty is deeper than looks.) Music like this commands your attention, invites you to come more deeply into it."
"Beauty nourishes. It is a kind of food our souls crave. A woman's breast is among the loveliest of all god's works, and it is with her breast she nourishes a baby-a stunning picture of the way in which Beauty itself nourishes us. In fact, a woman's body is one of the most beautiful of all God's creations. 'Too much of eternity', as Blake said, 'for the eye of man.' It nourishes, offers life. That is such profound metaphor for Beauty itself. As Lewis said, We do not want merely to see beauty, though, God knows, even that is bounty enough. We want something else which can hardly be put into words-to be united with the beauty we see, to pass into it, to receive it into ourselves (The Weight of Glory)
Have you had that experience? Where? When? What was it like?"

"One of the deepest ways a woman bears the image of God is in her mystery. By mystery we don't mean'forever beyond your knowing,' but 'something to be explored'. 'It is the glory of God to conceal a matter,' says the book of Proverbs, 'to search out a matter is the glory of kings' (25:2 NKJV). God yearns to be known., but he wants to be sought after by those who would know him. He says, 'You shall find me when you seek me with all your heart' (Jer. 29:13 NKJV). Are you aware of this yearning, as a woman? And are you being sought after these days?"
"Whatever else it means to be feminine, it is depth and mystery and complexity, with beauty as their very essence. Now, lest despair set in, let us say as clearly as we can:
Every woman has a beauty to unveil. Every woman. Because she bears the image of God. She doesn't have to conjure it, go get it from a salon, have plastic surgery or a breast implant. No, beauty is an essence that is given to every woman at her creation."
"What if? What if this really is true about you--that you ARE captivating woman? Let your heart go there for a moment; what does it bring?"

"O Jesus, come into this place in my heart. Help me to believe that you have given me your beauty. That I am a woman through and through, and because of your creation in me, I, too, have a heart for romance, I, too, am life-saver, and I do have beauty to offer the world. I ask this in your name. Amen."

WOW! AMAZING CHAPTER RIGHT??? I know this is a long one and if you stuck with me all the way THANK YOU! I want to encourage you to think on these questions for a while. Even if you decide not to post your answers here, I encourage you to write your answers down somewhere, a journal, a note pad but most of all on your heart. God LOVES YOU and has something vital to speak to your heart. It is no accident that you are here now reading his words for you. It is in His Divine purpose that you be wrapped in His arms, filled with His love for you and secure in the knowledge that you are His true love vital in His universe!
That is my prayer for you today and every day.
Be blessed today sweet princesses!
In His Love,
KP


11 comments:

  1. But when it came time for God to create his image bearers, he formed them with his own hands. He breathed life into them himself. What do you think about that?"
    THAT IS ASTONISHING to me. When I read that I can almost feel the gentle strength of his hand, the warmth of his breath. It makes my heart swell, I am humbled and filled with excitement like I caught sight of a secret loving glance from Him. :)

    Have you thought about being a woman in this way? What would it do for your heart to embrace this truth?"
    I never EVER thought of that. When I read it I could have YELLED with joy and excitement! I felt so amazed that just by exsisting I make such a difference in the world. It was just a light shining on my desire for a Godly husband and that he would have the same desire for ME the strength of that desire is not just a one was street. WOW! If I could embrace the knowledge of my significance every day it could change EVERYTHING in my life! I'm working on it. Just knowing that I have to change NOTHING, improve NOTHING that I am captivating to Him just as I am IS earthshattering! AWESOME! It inspires me to love more deeply, begining with Him and then me and it inspires me to love others more freely. :)

    "How does it change the way you feel about your own heart's desires to hear that through Eve God makes romance a priority of the universe?"
    Until now, that thought never entered my mind. I am wrapping my mind and heart around it. It certainly causes me to pause to imagine that the creator of the entire universe longs for MY LOVE. AMAZING!
    And so you'll see that women are endowed with fierce devotion, an ability to suffer great hardships, a vision to make the world a better place. How does your heart respond?"
    I feel almost vindicated that my desires are a reflection of God's own desires. I never have to feel the need to justify my heart to anyone ever again! I'm not too much, too little, too ANYTHING. I am a reflection of the Heart of God! My heart has something vital to teach about my Father! THANK YOU JESUS! :) It is amazing to be vauuable after a lifetime of self-doubt.

    Have you had the experience of being with a woman who is stressed, striving, worried? And how did you feel around her? Have you had the pleasure of being with a woman who is resting in God and knowing that all will be well? How did you feel around her? What kind of woman do you tend to be?"

    When I'm with a 'striving woman' I tend to take on her discomfort and feel the need to reassure her. Particularly now. I worry for her I want to show her any way I can that she is amazing, that she can relax in knowing that she is precious. When I am with a woman who is secure in the love of the Lord, she invites me to learn something new about God. She invites me to learn something new about myself and she just makes my heart leap with joy! I think I alternate between the two of these. Since reading this book I can see where I am when I see the reaction of those around me. I recently experienced being at peace with the beauty God gave me and I can safely say that it was a AMAZING. I love THAT woman in me and I am going to invite her out more! :)

    "What if? What if this really is true about you--that you ARE captivating woman? Let your heart go there for a moment; what does it bring?"
    If I really am captivating woman perhaps I can let myself be loved, allow my mind to be filled with thoughts other than those of 'fixing' my flaws, allow my life to be centered around the One who is Captivated by me rather than constantly seeking earthly approval, maybe I could stop comparing myself to the beauty I encounter to see how I 'measure up' and just drink in that beauty while remembering that in that peace MY beauty is more visable and more alluring to Him.
    WOW! Did I mention WOW! That also allows me to see the beauty that God wants to reveal to the world in each and every woman I meet. I am free to ask "what does God tell me through her?"
    Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about being a woman in this way? What would it do for your heart to embrace this truth?"
    I would no longer doubt my God-given purpose

    Have you seen God as yearning for you? As longing to be loved by you?
    Yes! Sometimes I think He does these amazing things just to show me; Like right now, the sun is brightly shining through the window, RIGHT ON MY FACE. It's warm and bright and feels like He is cupping my face in His Hand! I've sat here for months (not at one time :) and have NEVER had the sun shine right in, right there, right now. Oooh, I just love Him!

    "How does it change the way you feel about your own heart's desires to hear that through Eve God makes romance a priority of the universe?"
    It makes all my longings for protection and dancing and flowers and nurturing SO VALID.

    She has an irreplaceable role to play. And so you'll see that women are endowed with fierce devotion, an ability to suffer great hardships, a vision to make the world a better place. How does your heart respond?"
    It reminds me of the lyrics to a Paula Cole song I love:

    Watch the woman's hands as she cultivates the land,
    As she plants the seed, as she's on her knees.
    Watch her fingers smile as she holds the little child,
    As she holds him, as she holds him.
    Watch the woman's hands as she holds her children back,
    From the danger, from the danger.
    Watch how they fight to keep the family tight
    Together, together.
    Oh we need her, oh we need her.
    Oh we need her, oh we need her.

    What kind of woman do you tend to be?"
    I would love to know how I'm perceived. Stressed? or Blessed? I hope after all these years that people would be able to sense an inner peace and joy. I'm definitely working on it (killing the flesh part:) and hopefully the fruit of the Spirit is evident (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; gotta long way to go on that one :)

    Have you had that experience? Where? When? What was it like?"
    I feel so incredibly blessed to be in a state where God practically YELLS His beautiful creation. I mean, mountains, evergreens, glacier-fed rivers, the ocean, Mt. Baker, eagles, hawks, deer, racoons, stars and moon at night that we can actually see better because of the lack of light pollution... I do love to see it, pass into it and receive it. And then there's all of our friends; beautiful, kind, encouraging, giving, helpful, wonderful, frail, human, gorgeous, sinful but eternal people! Beauty galore.

    "What if? What if this really is true about you--that you ARE captivating woman? Let your heart go there for a moment; what does it bring?"
    Joy and tears
    Hope and Purpose
    Validity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently Jonathan was signed into the Google account; That post was by me; Betty McNeely :)
    Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm still trying to grasp my joy and excitement in my new understanding that things were not right without Eve (woman). I had never really thought about it that way.

    I guess I had always realized that God yearned and longed to be loved by me. However, I had never connected his longing to a woman's romantic heart. I've always tried to deny that side of me, because of disappointments and unfulfilled dreams. I never realized that is exactly how God created me. That my heart is an image of his heart! It's almost too much to understand!

    I am drawn to women that are resting in God. You feel God's presence, because they have a peace that only God can provide. I long to be the kind of woman that rests in God's truth. I desperately want God's light to shine through my life.

    What if it is true that I am a captivating woman? I am overwhelmed with hope. I also feel an even stronger desire to honor Him in everything I do. Not because he expects it, but because I want Him to know how much I love Him, and how much I appreciate His grace, mercy and unconditional love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Corrina,
    What a joy that is to read!! My heart is so happy for yours :) Isn't it amazing to imagine he could be the love we spent a lifetime longing for? I was sitting here watching 'PS I Love You" and imagining Him sending me His letters, telling me how to live, how to love, how to laugh... wow. I'm with you in the overwhelming hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty,
    Valid is such a GREAT word. Such a great thought. You know what, you were one of the women I thought of when we were thinking of a woman at rest in God's love. I keep thinking of sitting in your living room looking at your pretty painted toes and thinking .. she is just so beautiful .. I can see his light through her. I want to feel like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY WORD! THANK YOU GOD! I was THRILLED beyond words to read this! It was like receiving a special message from the One who loves me ABOVE ALL that I am ESSENTIAL to His LIFE! This is REAL! This is NOT just a once a week ritual - this is a REAL LIVING BREATHING LOVING RELATIONSHIP!!!!
    I have always been a calm woman (at rest)- one who is comfortable with my beauty (perhaps not my weight)! but I have always been in love with God through His beauty. Thankful for sending the birds to sing outside my window, thankful that I can stand and watch the sun set in my back yard! It is always magnificent! (it's HIS)! and I am His magnificent creation! I nearly jumped out of my chair when I read that we are the final touch of His creation! We are not "arm candy" but the Sustainer Beside him!! Every man should read this book! This book is unveiling more into the heart of My True Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are just no words for how cool that is! I'm so thankful you shared with us sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a late addition to the group. I apologize for my tardiness... Just had a baby and am getting used to life with 3 kids now. (Yes, I am still sane) The point in this chapter that really jumped out to me was the fact that Eve was the crown of creation. I have always been told and I guess I have believed that women were made to keep men company. That is what was taught to me at my Baptist College in all theology classes and Bible classes. Never had I imagined or understood that women were the crown of creation. Something exquisite placed on top of a masterpiece. It literally takes my breath away thinking that the Lord above placed us in his creation as the final and finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WELCOME Audra!
    Congratulations on your new baby! Wow three times blessed. How exciting! :) I'm so glad you were able to find time to join us.
    I'm even more excited to hear that you have found a new understanding of your value in the Lord! What an amazing gift to get to share with you! :))) Keep reading sweet girl b/c I can NOT wait to see how you feel a few more chapters in!
    Keep going, He has more to reveal to you. It's so good to have you with us, it just wouldn't be the same without you! :)
    KP

    ReplyDelete
  11. good chapter. i have been working through my identity in Christ by reading "victory over the darkness" in addtion to some other things. something in there it said that was echoed in here is the idea of stop striving to become something that you already are. stop striving to create a beauty that was given upon creation. aha! striving. stop striving after the wind!

    when it talked about how we feel a sense of shame when we long for the beauty, romance and adventure we don't have, it resonated in my spirit. i do often feel shame. shame for wanting to to have intimacy, romance, to be in love. like there is something wrong with me that i have yet to experience any of it and that just isn't true.

    i love the idea that we are the crowing point of creation. i don't think i had thought of the idea that adam was in perfect relationship with God and yet there was something missing. that makes me happy to know that i am not desiring things that are selfish but the very thing he has placed in me.

    "nature isn't primarily functional. nature is primarily beautiful." mmmmm my heart just purrs when i think of the beauty i got to see this summer as i traveled up from portland through seattle and washington up to canada. stunning! hundreds of different trees, just for our benefit. just for us to be enamored with our amazing Father.

    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete